Simple Journey

I want to know a song can rise from the ashes of a broken life... --Mike Donehey, 10th Ave. N.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Home Coming

Praise God the Father who bestows All gifts to us in love, below --

I am so glad to be here again! We have a view out across the slough, so beautiful, especially when the sun is shining. Listening to English Country Dance music and looking at that view yesterday, it was almost a déjà vu, but wasn't. It was a memory of such happy times, but I never was that happy here all those years ago... or was I?

Why do we only reach appreciation for what we've been given when we can no longer have it? Is it simply because we forget the negatives that came along with it? Or is it a punishment for focusing on negatives in the first place, or for something else? Or maybe we can't see the beautiful forest because someone planted ugly trees to obstruct our vision, which are only gone when we've past through?

I miss Momma and Daddy here so very much. I want to cry when I come over the big, green bridge, so high above the Bay, remembering when we brought our kids to visit Granny and Grandpa for the first time. We drive into North Bend, but veer left and continue down 101 to Motel 6 or Best Western. I'm not to go into the mobile park, driving slowly because Daddy doesn't want me to make his neighbors mad, notice the changes in his friends' single-wides, see the improvements he's made on his home, enjoy the Christmas lights strung along the bushes that line his drive, say "hi" to Mom's swans in the front yard, greet Daddy and Momma with hugs and kisses at the gate, Wally Wags, yipping excitedly at our feet. No, never again.

This is our great sorrow while we dwell below.

But in Heaven, "Oh, what a gathering!"

No comments:

Post a Comment