Simple Journey

I want to know a song can rise from the ashes of a broken life... --Mike Donehey, 10th Ave. N.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Words From Wise Ones

Sometimes Charles Spurgeon gets it just right where others fail:

God often takes away our comforts and our privileges in order to make us better Christians. He trains his soldiers, not in tents of ease and luxury, but by turning them out and using them to forced marches and hard service. He makes them ford through streams, and swim through rivers, and climb mountains, and walk many a long mile with heavy knapsacks of sorrow on their backs. Well, Christian, may not this account for the troubles through which thou art passing? Is not the Lord bringing out your graces, and making them grow? Is not this the reason why he is contending with you?

"Trials make the promise sweet;
Trials give new life to prayer;
Trials bring me to his feet,
Lay me low, and keep me there."

This may bother some folks, but right now it is a comfort to me. And to some folks I would say, like God said to Job:

"Will the faultfinder contend with the Almighty?
     Let him who reproves God answer it....
"Now gird up your loins like a man;
     I will ask you, and you instruct Me.
"Will you really annul My judgment?
     Will you condemn Me that you may be justified?
"Or do you have an arm like God,
     And can you thunder with a voice like His?
"Adorn yourself with eminence and dignity,
     And clothe yourself with honor and majesty.
"Pour out the overflowings of your anger,
      And look on everyone who is proud, and make him low.
"Look on everyone who is proud, and humble him,
     And tread down the wicked where they stand.
"Hide them in the dust together;
     Bind them in the hidden place.
"Then I will also confess to you,
     That your own right hand can save you."

And though I have complained at times, I say with Job:


"I know that You can do all things,
     And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.
'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?'
     "Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
          Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know."
'Hear, now, and I will speak;
     I will ask You, and You instruct me.'
"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
     But now my eye sees You;
Therefore I retract,
     And I repent in dust and ashes."

For I am trusting that like Job, the LORD will bless my latter days more than my beginning. And I am following the Song of the King, not the song of the Hopenots.

It helps more if you are going to sing, if you will please sing the first, and not the second. I'm not a fan of Charles Ives, and I have very finely tuned musical ears, so more than one song at a time just reeeeeeally bothers me. Ya know.

Thanks. Won't you join me?

Simply singing,
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment